Other Books in Series
- #2: The Papers of Frederick Law Olmsted, 2: Slavery and the South, 1852-1857 (Hardcover): $112.50
- #3: The Papers of Frederick Law Olmsted, 3: Creating Central Park, 1857-1861 (Hardcover): $106.25
- #4: The Papers of Frederick Law Olmsted, 4: Defending the Union: The Civil War and the U.S. Sanitary Commission, 1861-1863 (Hardcover): $106.25
- #5: The Papers of Frederick Law Olmsted, 5: The California Frontier, 1863-1865 (Hardcover): $106.25
- #7: The Papers of Frederick Law Olmsted, 7: Parks, Politics, and Patronage, 1874-1882 (Hardcover): $112.50
Lavishly illustrated with over 470 images--129 of them in color--this book reveals Frederick Law Olmsted's design concepts for more than seventy public park projects through a rich collection of sketches, studies, lithographs, paintings, historical photographs, and comprehensive descriptions. Bringing together Olmsted's most significant parks, parkways, park systems, and scenic reservations, this gorgeous volume takes readers on a uniquely conceived tour of such notable landscapes as Central Park, Prospect Park, the Buffalo Park and Parkway System, Washington Park and Jackson Park in Chicago, Boston's "Emerald Necklace," and Mount Royal in Montreal, Quebec. No such guide to Olmsted's parks has ever been published.
Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903) planned many parks and park systems across the United States, leaving an enduring legacy of designed public space that is enjoyed and defended today. His public parks, the design of which he was most proud, have had a lasting effect on urban America.
This gorgeous book will appeal to landscape professionals, park administrators, historians, architects, city planners, and students--and it is a perfect gift for Olmsted aficionados throughout North America.
About the Author
Charles E. Beveridge (ALEXANDRIA, VA) is the leading Olmsted authority in the country and the series editor of The Papers of Frederick Law Olmsted. Lauren Meier (BELMONT, MA) is a landscape preservationist and a coeditor of The Master List of Design Projects of the Olmsted Firm, 1857-1979. Irene Mills (SPRINGFIELD, VA) is a landscape designer. Beveridge, Meier, and Mills are the coeditors of Frederick Law Olmsted: Plans and Views of Communities and Private Estates.